Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hola, me llamo James

I've been studying Spanish for over a year now and last night I went to an 'intercambio', or language exchange, night for the first time.


Half-term week meant that there was no class this week so a girl from the class persuaded me to go with her to the London Spanish Meetup.  I also managed to get SB to come along.  She's a linguist of the highest order so I knew she'd be unable to resist an opportunity to speak one of the languages she speaks.

I bought a beer, wrote out my name badge and once the formalities were over made my way around the room chatting to people in speed-date style 3-minute segments.  There were people from the UK, Spain, South America, all over, all chatting away in whatever languae they wanted to practice. 

The evening was a lot of fun and it's a shame I'll only be able to go to meetups when I don't have a Spanish class but I'm definitely going to go again.  There is another event on Thursday nights at Club Espeng that I'm going to try as well.

No comments: