Thursday, February 04, 2010

Should I Flickr The Switch?


I bought a Canon SLR back in August 2008 and since then I've taken a shed load of photos!

For fear of losing them I bought a 1TB external hard drive but all that happens now is I go away, take loads of photos, and then file them away!  I never get to look at them and neither does anyone else.

This is where flickr comes in. 

I've had a free flickr account for a little while but all I've uploaded are a few photos of Battersea Power Station that I took on an open day back in 2008.  For the past couple of weeks I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a pro account.  There are a lot of benefits, not least that with a free account you can only see your latest 200 uploads in your photostream.

I suppose what I'm really asking is whether the $24.95, around sixteen quid, annual fee is worth it.  A question that I can only answer myself!

flickr list the main benifits of a pro account as being:

- Unlimited photo uploads (20MB per photo)
- Unlimited video uploads (90 seconds max, 500MB per video)
- Unlimited storage
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Archiving of high-resolution original images
- The ability to replace a photo
- Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
- Ad-free browsing and sharing
- View count and referrer statistics

The items in bold are the ones that I think I'll benefit from, so four out of nine.  Looking at the four, they do hold a lot more value than say the ad-free browsing or view counts so it looks like I'm a prime update candate.

Time to stop the jibber jabber and just get a pro account I say.

No comments: