Saturday, February 06, 2010

Run Rabbit Run

Phew, run over!

There are loads of free timed runs dotted around the country.  They start at 9am every Saturday morning.  Sadly there aren't any in Northern Ireland just yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

The Richmond Park event is the nearest to me but it's still around five and a half miles away!  I always cycle there which takes about half an hour.  It's not too bad a journey and by the time I arrive at the park I'm awake and nicely warmed up.

It was my first parkrun of the year, my last was on 5th December, and there were well over 200 people lined up at the start, the biggest field I've seen.  People of all ages and abilities take part and it's good to see the numbers increasing  As always a big shout out must go out to the volunteers who give up their Saturday morning lie-ins week in week out.

At the finish the timer beeps you through and you get given a token, I was 72 this week.  I don't time myself so I'll have to wait for the website to update with the results.  My time will most likely be somewhere between 22:30 and 23 minutes I imagine, I run at a pretty steady pace.

SB did the run this week too, her fourth in total but first since October.  Hopefully she'll be joining me on the two wheeled schlep from W12 more regularly!

To give her credit, she found out about Parkrun.  Her first run was last Setptember, in Richmond's 100th event and  I was roped in to joining her the week after.  We're both slowly making our way towards the 50 run club!

No comments: