Thursday, August 19, 2010

Two in 24 Hours!

You wait a week for a blog update and then two come along in 24 hours!

The foxes are at it again and Sarah's just piped up to say that they are quicker than me, charming!  She's gone downstairs now to flood the bathroom again!

We've just watched another episode of Minder!  I've got the V+ box set to record the series so we have a seemingly never ending supply of episodes to watch.

Today's episode, Back in Good Old England, was the twelfth from the third series (not season!) according to the great minder.org.  More often than not Minder episodes are a who's who of British TV.  Today's episode featured Norman Beaton who is better known as Desmond from the classic late '80s early '90s comedy Desmond's, check out on-demand episodes on SeeSaw, and Pete Postlethwaite the great stalwart of British film and television.

My Spanish classes finished at the end of the school term so I'm loving having Wednesday nights free.  Finishing work at half five and getting home before six is a rare luxury and one I could get used to :)  It's just gone 22:00 and it feels like I've been at home for ages.

IMG_2627Talking (well, writing if we're splitting hairs) of Wednesdays, Sarah's brother is a helicopter engineer in the RAF and last Wednesday we went down to RAF Odiham for their annual family day.  I've not got much interest in things military but it was a really good day.  Sarah's parents came down from Bury so we all had a good look around the base, watched planes and helicopters buzzing around and then watched a gig put on by men and women stationed at the base.  Sarah's brother was in the second band and having been taught to play by their dad, the old boy was chuffed ;)

Oooh, just seen that Nick Clegg was in the the Bush today to launch the coalition's vision for social mobility.  Shame he chose Shepherd's Bush Village hall as the venue because the Tory council want to close and flog the building!  It's always good to see MPs getting some stick and by the sounds of it this was a pretty feisty photo call for the deputy Prime Minister.  More details here.

IMG_2679Sorry, where was I. Oh yeah, last Wednesday.  After the gig we all went for a meal in a local country pub which always gets me thinking.  As much as I love London, there is something special about going to a country pub for a few (too many) beers and some top notch grub.  This place didn't disappoint but did leave me and Sarah with a dash for the last train from Hook and a ride on the 295 from Clapham Junction back to W12.

A night on the beers certainly wasn't the best way to prepare for the 2010 edition of the Superstars Decathlon!

Last Thursday and Friday saw 16, erm, 'athletes' compete in the third decathlon at Battersea Park Arena.  I was pretty confident of a decent showing after somehow landing second place last year but this time round I was well below par.  My day two performance wasn't helped by the evil mozzie bites I received on the first day, my left leg took on an elephant-like appearance, but it was my disastrous showing in a couple of less the less traditional events that helped seal my mediocrity.

IMG_2700The final event for the previous two years was a dance off in Clapham Junctions so called 'Premier Nightspot' Wessex House, don't be fooled, it's shit!

This year however we had karaoke to add one final insult to the injury!  It wasn't a case of just getting on the mike and singing a song of choice, oh no, that would be too easy!  We were each given an artist and song with strict instructions that appearance was just as important as vocal performance.

I drew Pink and her song Get the Party Started which as it turned out was an OK draw although not as cushy as Sarah who was given Franz Ferdinand.

We all got changed at the arena and then headed to find some taxis, not an easy task for 16 people dressed in various levels of drag and in the end we hopped on the bus!  Sorry to all the poor commuters on the number 44, still, we must have livened up an otherwise dull journey.

Now for the moment I know you've all been waiting for...me as Pink.

Not a great resemblance but nature didn't really offer me much of a chance this time round!  For more of the same have a look at this Picasa album.

Right, I reckon it's time to say goodbye after that photo!

Time to watch game two of the Giants' three game road trip in Philadelphia.

No comments: